My website

My website
www.GailGrenierSweet.com

Thursday, March 14, 2013

A kickin' broth base for soup


My son found a wonderful recipe from Bon Appétit for brined turkey and gravy. This dish has become the centerpiece for our family's Thanksgiving feast. One year I was lucky enough to inherit the leftover gravy and it tasted so good - and so unusual (the secret  is apple cider) - that I turned it into a soup.
 
I recommend these gravy ingredients to flavor broth for soup. Once you make the broth, you can add any flora or fauna you want to make the soup hearty.

Amazing cider and herb-seasoned broth
 
chicken (or any type) broth
apple cider
(Use two parts broth to one part cider)

To taste:

minced fresh Italian parsley
minced fresh thyme
minced fresh sage
minced fresh marjoram
minced fresh rosemary
ground nutmeg

Roux:
1/4 c. butter
3 T. flour

To make roux, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add flour and stir one minute.

To thicken broth, get it to boiling and stir in the roux.

2 comments: