My website

My website
www.GailGrenierSweet.com

Monday, November 19, 2012

Spielberg's "Lincoln" - better than Sominex

Daniel Day-Lewis as Lincoln
Everyone is going to say "Lincoln" is a great movie, but I saw it last night and I have to say it's better than Sominex.

A screenwriting friend of mine, Patricia Fox, complained to me about Spielberg years ago. I didn't know what she meant. But now I do.


"Spielberg spoon feeds the audience on how to think," she says. "And he uses the cheapest narrative trick constantly - deus ex machina."

In "Lincoln," I didn't notice the deus ex machina trick (a contrived solution to a plot dilemma), but when I wasn't nodding off, I was constantly aware of an uneasy feeling I had.

My uneasy feeling began when two Union soldiers took turns reciting The Gettysburg Address to Mr. Lincoln. This is how the movie opens. I just didn't believe it. Maybe this scene was well-researched and people were already memorizing Lincoln's beautiful words as early as 1865, but I found it a real stretch. I also felt that the scene was pandering to the audience - especially since the two soldiers doing the reciting happened to be black.

My uneasy feeling continued as Daniel Day-Lewis and others speechified and speechified. I will always be a Daniel Day-Lewis fan and I think I've seen all his movies, but yipes. He did the very best with what was given to him, but yipes.

Finally the movie was about to end. Great scene, I thought: Lincoln has achieved the passage of the 13th amendment (by hook or crook, mostly crook - that was interesting). He walks away - slowly - slowly - fading into the background.

GREAT ENDING, I thought. Lovely and sad. We all know what happens next.

BUT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, I was wrong. Spielberg wrung out some more minutes of an already overly-long movie, making sure we knew Lincoln got kilt in the theatre. Now that I think of it, I remember thinking the same NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO at the end of "Saving Private Ryan," where we are forced to walk through the military cemetery full of headstones. Overkill, Mr. Spielberg, overkill.

I love Sally Field, but I really got tired of her ranting in every scene. The horrible dresses were hard to look at too, although I'm sure they were historically accurate.

The most emotion I felt was during the scene where Lee surrendered to Grant. It was a beautiful, not-overdone scene.

As we left the theatre, I began grousing about the film. My husband said, "It wasn't that bad."

"Is that why I had to punch you to wake you up?" I asked him.

I would recommend this movie as a history lesson, but not for pleasure. And be sure you go early in the day or after you've had a good long nap.

Teacher Gail's Grade: C+

Gail Grenier is the author of Calling All Horses, Dog Woman, and Don't Worry Baby, all available from Amazon.com.

2 comments:

  1. Other than that, Mrs. Grenier, how did you like the movie?

    (J R Q)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciated the history lesson. I admired the acting and the attention to detail (loved the little brown paper packages tied up with string here and there). I love Daniel Day-Lewis and Sally Field. Just a note on the too-long length... My husband liked the movie much more than I did, but I had to remind him that at one point during the film, I had to nudge him to wake him up. It's just too long - with too many talking heads. It picks up during the last hour. Thanks for asking, Mr. JRQ!!

      Delete