My website

My website
www.GailGrenierSweet.com

Monday, June 10, 2013

Ta-da! My new book has a name!


Naming a book is like naming a child – it’s a task fraught with emotion. The title for my new book was a mystery to me after I compiled favorites from more than three decades of writing. I read and re-read the essays and poems and realized they covered too many emotions to name. A theme emerged, but how could I express it?…something about finding happiness after a family tragedy.

I asked friends, family, and blog readers to help me select a title. They were generous with their ideas, but the votes came to a stalemate, with a tie between "The Dance of Life" and "Waking Up." Nothing felt right. The mystery sat and stared, stubborn.







 The solution arrived this past Saturday when my husband and I went to a 4-H lunch at the June Dairy Days celebration in little Markesan, Wisconsin. We each ordered a sandwich and a big slab of homemade pie with ice cream. I bit into my sandwich while I stared at my rhubarb pie a la mode. Mike, on the other hand, set his sandwich aside and snarfed his cherry pie.

I smiled. “Dessert first,” I said to him.

“Yup,” he agreed.

Life is short and often hard…but it’s full of desserts. Everyone’s desserts are different. My new book is filled with my desserts: family and friends, playing and nature, music and dancing, faith and folklore, remembering and writing.

Last Saturday evening, after our pie glut, Mike and I canoed around the entire Little Green Lake, where we have a house trailer. Our friend Kathy Hines Prochnow took a photo of us, printed above. I'm thinking this photo - or one like it - may be the image for the cover of the book. Canoeing at sunset pretty much expresses the whole idea of "dessert first" for me.
I hope to have the book out by Christmas. That's a long time to wait for dessert! Luckily, working on the book is a dessert in itself.

Gail Grenier is the author of Calling All Horses, Dog Woman, Don't Worry Baby, and Dessert First, all available from Amazon.com.

6 comments:

  1. Wait, so is the book going to be called "Dessert First" or "Canoeing at Sunset?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The title is "Dessert First" but I think the cover image is going to change from canoeing at sunset to a certain little boy eating his first birthday cake (with your permission of course).

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah! I'm sure having fun going through 30 years of my life in words!

      Delete
  3. Ah, another canoe trip around the ENTIRE lake...of course, now it's getting to be old hat, eh?? I've missed a lot of blogs; may catch up some day by reading about 20 of them in a row. I did that after my grand-niece was in Europe; didn't have a chance to follow the blogs as they happened, but reading them all at once was like reading a story. The Markesan Police Beat was great today: The Hazard of the Low-Hanging Branch.

    ReplyDelete