My website

My website
www.GailGrenierSweet.com

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Send prayers for my Nancy, a wisp of air


You always hear how an old person breaks a hip and that's the beginning of the end.

I hope that's not so for my dear friend Nancy.

She broke her left hip on Friday. The next day, she had successful surgery to repair the break. It's the following Thursday now, and she's not doing well. I swear that if she could be up and around, planting and weeding as she usually does, she'd be fine.

She was down to 93 lbs. before she broke the hip. A wisp of air.

I can only imagine what she weighs now. She can't seem to keep anything down. This afternoon the doc is going to send a scope into her stomach to see what's wrong.

Yesterday, the only way I could persuade her to order something  for today's breakfast was by promising home-brewed coffee... because she needs coffee with breakfast, and the hospital coffee is "too strong."

This morning I brought a thermos of coffee, but for the first time, she didn't wake when I walked into her room. She lay with her head thrown back, her mouth wide open, breathing in big gasps.

Frightening. That was exactly how my grandma looked during her last days...although there were longer pauses between breaths for Grandma.

Nancy's been fighting pancreatic cancer for more than four years. One doctor didn't think she'd live past July 2011, but she's still here. She is ferocious. If anyone can beat the odds, it's Nancy. We were looking forward to celebrating her 78th birthday on June 28.

Please send prayers, thoughts, wishes, white light...anything in your spiritual arsenal. If you wish to aim your care precisely, here's the info: Nancy Reinsvold, Room 270, Community Memorial Hospital, Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin.

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment